What do Yahweh and Yeshua have in common?
The truth of who Jesus is, was, and forever will be, is found in His name. Jesus’ Hebrew name—YAHWEH of the Old Testament—is Yeshua of the New Testament. Yeshua is composed of the same four letters—YHVH. God does nothing by accident. The name Jesus is the English translation for Yeshua.
Ancient rabbis used to say that when the Lord reigns on earth, He will be known by his one name, YHVH, or Yeshua (see Zechariah 14:9). Jesus was a popular name in his day, but Jesus the Christ is the only one who fulfilled the meaning of YHVH—Y as humility; H as Almighty God; V as redemption; and H as springs of water.
“God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him . . . .” (Col. 1:19). Revelation 19:13 shows Jesus on the white horse dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name as the Word of God. “And His eyes are a flame of fire . . . .” (Rev. 19:12 NASB).
“On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Rev. 19:16).
Yeshua Jesus is the exact representation of Jehovah/Yahweh/LORD
- Yeshua Jesus is El Roi—who sees you and me, the only One who is Love
- Yeshua Jesus is Elohim—GOD the Holy Spirit the third person of the Trinity
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Tsidkenu—whose blood redeemed me from the grave, death and hell
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Shalom—the only Peace we will ever find
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Rohi—the only One who gives trustworthy guidance
- Yeshua Jesus is El Shaddai—the only One who can bless, provide and protect
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Jireh—the only One who can deliver through the fire
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Rapha—the only One who can heal spirit, soul and body
- Yeshua Jesus is El Elyon—the only One who has been there all the time
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Sabaoth—our friend, bridegroom and lover of my soul
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah-Shammah—my marriage partner for all eternity
- Yeshua Jesus is Jehovah, also known as Yahweh––the fire in my life
Jesus is Jehovah—the great I AM who is our very being, our High Priest leading the way to our heavenly Promised Land.
After Judas betrayed Jesus, he and the Pharisees went to get Him. Jesus, knowing all that would befall Him, asked them whom they sought. They told Him they wanted “Jesus the Nazarene.” Jesus said to them, “I am He.”
Just as Jesus said, “I AM,” the men drew back and fell to the ground (see John 18:6).
“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word” (Heb. 1:3 emphasis mine), and He lives within us by His Spirit, and He has given us His name to use.
Is Jesus God? He is the exact representation of His very being and the Holy Spirit who resides within us. No wonder Paul prayed we may be able to comprehend these truths:
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. —Ephesians 1:17-19